Assignment 2 - Respond to a brief
In this assignment you will respond to a specific brief to create a web-based experience. You
will develop a concept for a design, along with draft assets and a storyboard. You do NOT
need to implement the design. However, you may wish to incorporate sketches including
draft animations and interactive experiences.
Choose one of the following briefs. Conceptualise a design that makes use of your
understanding of interactive engagement on the web. Your design should make use of 2D
animation and interaction and apply basic principles of web design and interactive
experience design. It is important that your design is also practically realisable (you should
be able to build at least a rough prototype version of the design concept).
Create an HTML advert for the Fred Hollows Foundation. The advert should draw a user in a
narrative experience that conveys the goals of the organisation in a specific fundraising
initiative, using interaction to further engage them in the mission of the organisation. As well
as encouraging users to give money and share the experience on social media, a goal of the
engagement is to instill a long term understanding of key issues relevant to FHF that might
make users into future ambassadors for the cause and to show empathy.
You may wish to consider different ways to draw someone in using interaction:
- Create a simple game (e.g., Frogger)
- Ask an enticing question (e.g., how many blindness cases are curable?)
- Present a notable statistic or fact (e.g., low cost of curing blindness)
- Engage the user on a moral issue (how curing blindness can improve someone’s
You could consider different aspects of the FHF marketing to engage with:
- The personal story of Fred Hollows
- The personal story of an individual beneficiary of FHF aid
- The story of a current humanitarian crisis such as the Rohingya.
- Information about cataracts, sanitation and health.
Create an HTML “music video” experience for a music track of your choosing. The music
video should primarily take the form of an animation but must have some degree of
interactivity. The work can be as interactive as you wish (e.g., it could be a full-fledged
computer game), but the experience should be enjoyable even when the user provides
minimal input. The music track remains a piece of fixed meda. However, you could consider
adding additional layers of sound to the track, or mashing it up in some other way.
Inspiring examples (NOTE: do not attempt anything this complicated! Just take inspiration):
Dance Tonight by LCD Soundsystem https://tonite.dance/
3 Dreams of Black by Chris Milk / Danger Mouse, Daniele Luppi, and Norah Jones
Just a Reflector by Arcade Fire https://www.justareflektor.com/
Create a variation on a classic arcade game of your choosing, that re-conceptualises the
elements according to some 3rd party theme. For example, make a version of PacMan or
Frogger where the elements are replaced by Lord of the Rings characters.
Submit a 2 page PDF which includes:
● 200 word concept, which includes where the piece will be presented
● Visual assets to support the visual design
● A combination of storyboards and interaction scenarios that illustrate the progression
of the experience
In addition, submit a zipped folder containing either video examples or real online drafts of
Present work in a short, 2 minute, in-class presentation. You may use any visual content you
like for this presentation (a slideshow is recommended).
|Concept is not|
or does not
brief and is well
and shows in
the idea in
very well suited
to the brief with
the potential to
create a rich
of interaction is
|Quality of Drafts,|
with little or no
not assist the
|A series of rich|
and there is
Course learning outcomes addressed in this task:
1. Recognise and explain interaction as a key concept in media arts practice.
2. Select and apply key techniques and concepts used in the creation of interactive
media arts projects.
3. Develop and create digital media assets that can be used in animated and interactive